On our walk on Sunday, Paul and I came upon an area where the city had dome some mowing and brush-clearing recently. There were a lot of bittersweet branches and vines scattered on the ground as a result. Thinking I might be able to make some nice autumnal decorations for the house, I picked out a few good pieces, and brought them home.
Today I set to working them into a wreath. Using some pruners, I clipped off dead leaves and stray twigs, and separated my rat’s nest of bittersweet into a handful of discrete strands. One of these seemed well-suited to becoming a ring, so I used it to start things off. I then added the bits of vine without berries, wrapping them around and around, until I had something solid for a foundation. From there, I wove in the twigs of berries that were sticking out from my first bough, and then added the rest of my branches until it looked like a pretty balanced wreath.
It didn’t come out exactly round; and though I could probably fix that with some soaking and manipulating, I think it looks round enough to be presentable. If I hang it on the door the wide way, its own weight will probably hang it out into something less elliptical.
Now all I need is a wreath hook!